I thought I'd start by addressing some of the comments we've gotten over the past 6 months or so as we've built the house (they broke ground exactly 4 months ago today, by the way). The biggest question/comment we've gotten (or noticed people trying really hard NOT to ask) is "How can you afford to build" given our 'large' family size, only one person working, and so forth. Well, after looking carefully at our finances and the housing market in the area, we realized that to get the house we wanted and be able to afford it, we'd have to build. With the incentives from the builder and lender, we were able to get more of the things we 'wanted' along with the floor plan that we (I) loved best by building instead of buying. There are/have been 2 houses on the market with the same floor plan as ours in the past few months, but we couldn't have afforded to buy them.
The second question is "why would you build instead of just buying something else?" And the reason we decided to build is allergies. Joe has terrible allergies to almost all plants and animals. In several of our apartments (including the last one), he would get awful rashes on his legs just from walking around without shoes on. We wanted a place where he could come without having to worry what had been in there and may be lingering in walls, floors, and air ducts. So far he's been able to get through the worst of the allergy season without extra trips to the dr. Hopefully it will continue... (fingers crossed here)
Those are really the biggest questions. And the only other answer we would give to them is that we want a space that is only ours. We've been living in apartments for 8 years now, and are just fed up with dealing with other people's left-over problems. Granted, that's part of renting; you don't know who or what was there before you, and you (sometimes) feel really bad for the people you know are coming after you are gone. We just wanted a place of our own that didn't have anyone else's messes left in forgotten corners. That isn't to say that I can't appreciate your historical house or anything, it's just not for us right now. I respect your choice, now please respect mine.
Now, on to the fun part. Here are a few pictures of the house, with explanations.
Here's the picture of my front door from the outside. It's got the vented screen door on the outside and the windows on the side.
Here's the door when it's open. That way you can see the cool glass details a little better. It's kind of hard to tell with th
This is what the interior doors look like. They're all white with white frames and all that jazz. They look really good, and are a nice change from the basic 6-panel door you usually see.
Here's the doorknob closer up. T
Well that's longer than I thought this post should be, but there it is. I've got more pictures and things I'll try and do later. But for now it's back to laundry, lunch and crazy munchkins!

5 comments:
Yeah for a blog post and yeah for a house! I can't wait to see more pictures!
So the front door is really nice and all but---we want to see more!! Like a few shots of the rest of the house...and the kids want to see pics of their missed friends! I know, I know, your busy--moving is a bother and three girls is well...you know...but stop teasing us and get some more pics up and not just of doors! And don't feel bad if it isn't decorated beautifully...remember our house?? Between furniture and paint it was three years to get the downstairs looking decent--no judgement here if there are still boxes in the corners.
I'm working on it, Tabitha. I have pictures of the downstairs that will be up (hopefully tomorrow...), and after I find the camera that Karen walked off with I'll take some more. The problem is that there are so many things that are almost done, I just want to finish them before I take the pictures. And yes, there will probably be boxes in the corners in several of them. Besides, if I gave you all the best pictures first, no one would need to check the blog again for a long time... :)
Joy - We're excited to see the pics! Oh, and as a sidenote we would totally love to take the silver dooorknobs :) - Our house came with the original gold doorknobs and I think silver would look much nicer. Let me know if they are still available to pick up.
Maybe it's just me, but I wonder about the people who would ask these type of questions. If you wanna build, do it. It's not our business. (But this comes from a place of having built 4 of our 3 homes). I'm so excited that you all have your very own space for the first time! A home! Yay for you all! =) Couldn't be more thrilled for y'all!
Post a Comment