Friday, January 19, 2007

MLK Jr. weekend

How wonderful to have a 3-day weekend after the first week of school. It was nice to have a day off, but I don't think we really needed it yet. However, we decided to enjoy the day and go see some sights. We ended up going to Cowpens National Battlefield, a Revolutionary War historical site. It was cool to actually see something that I'd learned about in school. I even wrote a paper about it at BYU. The funny thing about this battle is that it actually took place in a cow pasture. It was an American victory big time-only a few Americans were killed/wounded/captured while more than 500 British suffered the same. The thing about battlefields is that most of the time they're just empty land without much exciting to see. We got lucky though, because (being in the south) there were people dressed up doing a reenactment of the battle for the 226th anniversary of the victory. We hadn't remembered that it was in January, so we got there and there were already a couple hundred people there. It was fun and a bit strange. Oh well, it was a good day off of school and we got some interesting pictures (which I forgot to bring-next time they'll be here).

Another thing of note this week is that my brother came home from his mission. Don't worry, it was an honorable release ;) he's been out for two years and home for two days. He was in the Tempe, Arizona mission and is now freezing to death in the Portland, Oregon area while deciding what to do with the rest of his life. I told him to come visit us, but he just laughed. He thinks you need money for things like that. Oh wait....

Anyway, that's about it for us this week. Just back to the grindstone for Joe and back to normal life for me. At least American Idol has started now... something to do while Joe's doing homework in the evenings. Hope y'all are having fun wherever you happen to be.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I totally forgot that we had a long weekend, too! Probably because I worked all day like I do everyday, but Andrew didn't go to school.

I'm glad to hear that you are having a fun time...SuperNanny is pretty good, too...in case you need another time filler!

Tell your brother that he only needs enough money for a plane ticket...because he can just stay with you. I mean, after all, he hasn't even met Karen yet. That's kind of important. Where are his priorities? Money, niece, money, niece...it's niece!