Friday, April 18, 2008

Birthday Sharing, Utah update

It seems like everyone I know knows someone who shares the same birthday as them. Not all of us are as cool as our sister-in-law Kathleen Allen who has the amazing ability to remember just about everyone's birthday, but most of us remember when we meet someone who shares our same significant day. For example, Karen shares her exact birthday (5-23-06) with Joshua Sosa, a cute little boy in our ward. Rachel shares her exact birthday (1-18-08) with Bryant Whiting from our ward and Katryn Bockholt, my friend Krystal's little boy.

I also share my birthday, though I don't know anyone born the same year. In my ward in Orem I had a YW leader with my birthday and my friend Becky's sister shares my birthday. It's funny that although I haven't seen either of them for a long time I still remember this near-useless (but interesting nonetheless) fact. This year was a bit exciting for me since I now know another person who shares my birthday. If you've been reading my blog (or want to catch up...), you'll know that last September my friend Jaimie's husband John died a week after a big car accident. It was a horrible and tragic situation, since they had just found out they were expecting. Well, baby Grace Johanna Martinson was born on my birthday last week! I haven't been to see her yet, but I hear she's big and cute and I know she'll be just great because she was born on a good day. ;) So now I have another person to remember every year, which is fun.

Now, for a quick change of subject... I know a couple weeks ago I said we were coming to Utah and would be driving. We were going to arrive on the 9th and leave on the 13th, but our plans have changed somewhat. Due to the rising cost of gas (it's 3.40 here...) we started looking for plane tickets, and yesterday Joe found a steal on Orbitz. We will now be flying in the morning of the 8th (arriving around 11am) and leaving the evening of the 14th (around 5 pm). While we were looking forward to a road trip, we are much more excited that we can save a few hundred dollars and spend a longer amount of time visiting our family and friends. Unfortunately we won't be stopping in Indiana to visit Joe's family, but with the money we save on this trip we might go visit sometime this summer...maybe July 4th, we don't know for sure anything about that yet. So anyway, now I'm really looking forward to seeing Shaille and her family, and hopefully a lot of other people too (like a family who will be shortly moving to Egypt, hint hint ;) ). We're still not sure where we're staying, but it will probably be somewhere in Utah county, maybe with my aunt but we're not sure yet. I just wanted to let y'all out there know what's going on with us.

Last note: congrats to Andy Heiss and anyone else who is graduating from BYU and/or any other schools this semester! It's a great feeling to be done with school!!!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm so glad you're flying. I can't imagine driving that far with two little kids! And for such a short stay, too.

I have you on my calendar--just your whole trip right now--so we'll keep you in mind when we're making plans that week.

We'll try to work out a good date for everyone...did you mention a day? I think you did...I'll check your other post.

We're looking forward to seeing you and meeting Rachel! I'll let the Dones know that you're in town. I really, really want to get a "Rachel, Rachel, Rachel" picture!

Krystal said...

by the way, I have a girl, not a boy ;)

Joy said...

Sorry Krystal... I meant to say that the boy was from our ward and you have a very cute little girl... So much for being over the whole sleep deprivation thing!

Shaillé said...

Wahoo!! (on saving money and that we get to see you now)! We are planning to drive out the 13th - we're leaving early in the morning but with two kids who knows what time we'll arrive in Utah. So if we can do something the 14th that would be great, but I know it might be hard with people's schedules to do something during the day.

We could try to leave Monday the 12th - the reason we weren't is because a family is going to be living in our place while we're gone, so we have to get everything really cleaned and organized before leaving, and I don't want to do too much on Sunday. So maybe we can be super organzed and get everything done before Sunday but Casey's parents are coming that weekend so who knows...We'll just have to play it all by ear I guess.

Anyway, it'll be so fun to see you guys and your two cute little girls!! :)

Krystal said...

My parents got calista's invite the other day. . .way cute! good job!

Megan said...

Joy! I've been trying to get hold of you, but i don't know if your email address is the same! I was just checking in to say Happy Birthday, find out an update on you and give you an update on me! I'd love to hear from you! I'll still be in Utah in through the summer but I am moving to Pennsylvania in August. Hope all is going well!

Joy said...

my new email is joy.allen08@gmail.com if you want to email me. I'll be in UT in a couple weeks for Calista's wedding too... we should get together!?