I know it's been a while since I put anything up. Ever since last Tuesday it has been really crazy around here. Last Tuesday morning I went to the WIC office for my appointment; it was at 8:30 a.m., and I got there at 8. It took two hours, and I was rushing like a crazy person to get to the church for the class I'm in. (It's called 'let's talk about it' and "it" refers to anything that's going on for you...anyway I go and learn a few things and cry a bunch and it's really nice... back to the point.) After class I came home, and Karen took a nap then had lunch around 2 or 3... Then around 3 I got a call from a friend in the ward telling me that John Martinson, a friend of ours in the ward, had been in a most terrible car accident. This was no ordinary car accident; he had multiple breaks on all limbs, with lots of internal bleeding and other damage as well. This was a huge shock, since I, like most people my age, feel not invincible but pretty close to it. I visit teach John's wife Jamie (some of you may know them; they graduated from BYU the same time Joe and I did-April '06), who is pregnant with their first child. My first reaction (after calling Joe in shock) was to sit on the couch and cry for about 20 minutes (that's one of the worst things about being pregnant for me right now-I feel like a faucet that won't turn off). The rest of the day I didn't feel like doing anything, but I felt bad doing nothing.... and I can't remember exactly what we did, but I kept getting phone calls from people making sure that I knew what was going on, and every time someone called to tell me about it, I would cry some more (but thankfully not as much as the first time).
Wednesday was a 'normal' day. I don't remember doing anything really except debating in my mind whether I should call Jamie again that day or leave her alone because all the family was in town. I ended up not calling her, but we did get a link to a blog that they were updating a few times a day. It was a relief to know what was happening without having to be continually bugging them. Here's the link to the blog: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/john_martinson , I hope it works right.
Anyway, with this accident it was very scary until about Saturday, when he became more stable even though he's still on the ventilator and a bunch of other machines. The ward fast held for him on Sunday seemed very powerful, and for the first time in any pregnant/nursing state I wished I could fast. John is now working on slowly waking up and breathing some on his own. I believe he will eventually make a full recovery, but it will take a long time.
Sunday, a most unexpected thing happened though. A new RS presidency was called, and the new president asked me to be in charge of meals for the family, since the compassionate service leader is the sister-in-law of John and Jamie. It's kinda scary for me, since I don't like to just call people and ask if they would like to take food to someone... but it's worked out so far and will probably continue to. I just hope this isn't a preview of a new calling for me. I think it would drive me crazy.
This is just a small part of our oh-so-eventful week, and I'll put more info up soon. As this is the more disasterous news I thought I should get it out of the way first. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some more time to write stuff here.
Highlights of our time in PTC
11 hours ago

4 comments:
That is my worst nightmare...it looks like he passed away...did I read that right (in her blog, not yours)?
I'm so very sorry. I'm glad that you can be there for her.
I cannot imagine. My heart goes out to the family and to you. *hugs*
oh my goodness...How is their family doing? I also read what nancy read, and it looks like he passed away. my condolences to them.
Post a Comment