Thursday, April 16, 2009

Anger Management

So, Karen's anger problems have gotten really bad, especially this morning. She's been really jealous of Rachel's glasses, no matter what I try to do to help. The last couple days she's just been really angry at everything. I know part of that's just being an almost-3-year-old, but it seems like more than that right now. Already in the last 2 hours she's hit Rachel at least 3 times, me once, and she was so angry she broke her crayons into little pieces. I don't really know what to do with her. Anyone have any suggestions for 3 year old anger management?

8 comments:

Luisa said...

no real suggestions but i am right there with you- lately Aiven has been hitting or kicking the wall or couch when he gets in trouble or goes to time out. sometimes i slightly slap his hand and tell him no hitting but that is kind of hypocritical- its the only way to get his attention when he is soo upset! the other thing i have been doing is sitting him on my lap and holding his arms at his sides and tell him no hitting not nice until he calms down

Anonymous said...

I need more stories. Jane

Anonymous said...

Put her in the shower, clothes and all, until the anger/tantrum is over. A couple of times in the shower will help her attitude and you won't need to spank her!!

Anonymous said...

thanks dad! Maybe I'll try it, since I've seen the effects of that once or twice...

LouAnna Tolliver said...

Hi Joy! I remember the terrible twos didn't happen for my little dear till she was nearing 3yo, as well. My only advice is pick your battles - she may be trying to become autonomous (sp?): separate from you. My little dear wanted to pick out her own clothes and threw fits - so I just gave up and let her wear one red sock, one yellow with pink shorts and a purple shirt. I got a lot of strange looks, but self-expression was a key to my sanity! But, I didn't have a sibling for my daughter, so that might be part of it, too. You're doing a great job, Joy! =)

Shaillé said...

I was seriously just wondering today whether I should do a post asking for ideas with Matthew... He is so mean to Kelsi sometimes - he'll just go up and shove her over and after a time out, he'll go do it again. I can't figure it out - he's such a smart, good kid and I can't figure out why he does this so much. Partly what you said - jealousy and it's part of the age, but yeah I don't know what else to do about it. If you get any good ideas, let me know. ;) But it's nice to know that other kids are similar - helps me realize it is normal. At this age they just have such a hard time controlling their impulses - they know they shouldn't hit but they just haven't learned how to control themselves yet. Good luck to us both, and to the younger siblings, haha. ;)

marquita chiquita said...

I don't really have any advice either, but I am sympathizing with you. What seemed to help Maya a bit when she started acting up was two things....first, spending some good just mommy and Maya time with her alone. Also, following through on consequences. I realized that I wasn't following though in things and she knew it and she kept testing me on stuff. I am sure you are doing a great job, just hang in there!

Gina said...

I hope this problem has cleared up for you. We have had similar issues with our 5 year old since our move 6 months ago. Change is hard on kids - so hard. If she doesn't have a regular routine every day, she is either craving that or more one-on-one from you/Joe. We ended up in therapy with our son becuase it got so bad at his new pre-school with him hurting other children/teachers. Luckily after strengthening our routines and consistancy with once-chance-only's then into time-out, we had a totally different kid within a week. Night and day, he is a dream most of the time now and listens tons better to us.