Monday, February 25, 2008

update 2: the first 2 weeks

**Note: if you haven't checked the blog for a while (meaning any time from 6 weeks ago to 6 minutes ago) read the blog before this first, as this is a continuing update.**

So, Rachel and I came home from the hospital on my dad's birthday (I won't say he turned 49 this year), January 20th. Thankfully Rachel was our second kid and not the first, so we had basically everything for her already (bed, car seat, stroller, clothes, blankets, etc) or we would have been in trouble since she came exactly 3 weeks early. But, at 6 lb. 4 oz, I don't think I would have been very happy if she decided to wait a few more weeks; pushing out an 8 or 9 lb baby is not my idea of fun.

Rachel is a lot like Karen was at that age. She was jaundiced (but not enough for a bili blanket, thankfully) and so yellow from head to toe for 2-3 weeks. She sleeps almost all the time, and it takes a lot to wake her for feedings. She even sleeps pretty good at night, giving us 2-4 hour chunks of sleeping time between feedings. Also like Karen, Rachel loves bath time but hates lotion afterwards. Unlike Karen though, Rachel will scream her little head off if she doesn't like something; Karen would just wimper a bit and I'd take care of her, but I'm a bit more busy now so I guess Rachel has to be more vocal. Also unlike Karen, Rachel is already a pro at holding her head up and looking around (although she doesn't like to do it while on her tummy on the floor).

My mom totally saved us, being here the first week we were home. Rachel wasn't nursing very well, and since she was so hungry she was even harder to wake up. Karen was excited to have a baby around, (but didn't realize that she'd be a permanent addition) but wanted lots of mommy time (or Grandma sometimes). Rachel would sleep most of the time, but that doesn't mean that she was quiet. This little girl is the loudest sleeper for her size of anyone I've ever heard. She sometimes snores, but mostly squeeks and grunts constantly if she's not really deep asleep. After the first part of the first night I kicked my baby out of my room; she was so loud I couldn't sleep at all. So she slept with/by Grandma the whole time she was here. Every time Rachel would start squeeking too loud my mom would pat her tummy and she'd get quiet again. I think she wasn't too bad after the first night, but I'm not sure. I think we let my mom do a lot because we all knew she was going home in a few days and would be able to catch up on sleep a lot quicker than me and Joe. I feel kinda bad about it now though... but only a little. I was so sleep deprived from the hospital that I couldn't stay awake. Grandma Howes stayed with us for about a week-she left early on Saturday morning (26th).

The next week is a total blur. Karen was starting to realize that Rachel wasn't leaving and started to take it out on me. Rachel finally started eating (after we started using a nipple shield; that's another way she's like Karen; neither of them would nurse from me without a shield), and wanted to eat every 2 hours or so. Joe was really busy with work/school and church as always, and really behind from the last 2 weeks of craziness to boot, so he couldn't be around much even though he did his best. That week my friends from church really saved us. Kitara and Doren came over a lot to help by playing with Karen or holding Rachel. Kitara is still one of Karen's favorite people-she calls her on the toy cell phone about 10x/day.

We are now updated through Feb. 2 or so. Karen woke up from her nap so I have to stop; hopefully I can continue soon (like tonight or tomorrow) and maybe even put up some pictures.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm glad that your mom was there to help out! My Rachel is a noisy one, too! Must be something about the name.

I'm definitely looking forward to pictures--and don't stress about updating too much :) It was just over a month and I was beginning to wonder if a meteor fell on your house or something...

Have fun with your girls! :)

Krystal said...

I was unlucky enough to not have a carseat, or any clothes when katryn was born. . .we had to borrow one to bring her home!

and katryn is a noisy sleeper also--she got better when we swaddled her, but her room is across the house, so we wouldn't hear her if she woke up.

can't wait to hear more!

marquita chiquita said...

wow, I am so glad that everything went fine with you and little rachel! I am also very glad that you had a team of friends and family there to help!!!