Friday, January 18, 2008

Rachel Kay Allen

Well, this is Joe...and Joy told me that I had to blog tonight and get the pictures up fast!! That's right, Rachel Kay Allen was born today at 9am. She weighed in at 6 lbs 4 oz and is 18 inches long. She's about a pound smaller than Karen was because she was born at 37 weeks instead of 39 weeks and 5 days. For those who didn't know, Joy was dealing with pregnancy induced hypertension. Something she had with Karen, but was never taken seriously. Our doctor this time was more interested in monitoring this problem and for that reason alone the delivery was much more bearable for Joy. In fact, they didn't have to induce in the traditional sense. They did a procedure to help ephase (sp?) Rachel and then Joy went into natural contractions at about a minute apart. When the doctor broke her water, literally 15 minutes later Rachel was born.

Anyway, that's some of the particulars...but we're so excited to have this new addition to our family. It was funny when a friend of ours (Kitara) brought Karen to the hospital to meet Rachel. I hadn't realized just how big Karen is until she held Rachel (see pic). She's grown so much and is so smart. She's going to out-smart us for sure and be a handful when she gets a bit older.

Also, Joy's Mom flew in from Portland to be here for the delivery and to help with the transition home. She came just in time too...but not just for the pregnancy. Karen's had a nasty bit of the stomach flu and we've been cleaning up after her all week. In fact, Karen's first experience with Grandma was seeing her clean the vomit off her car-seat. I think that helps explain why Karen is just now beginning to take to her. Frankly, I don't know how we would've made it through this week without her and the help from our wonderful ward. Not to mention the prayers and faith of our family and friends. Thank you all for all the love and support. We wish you all could be here to share in this moment. Its not everyday your family grows by 25%!!

Well, Joy is much more witty and enjoyable to read, so I'll stop before I attempt the impossible... Enjoy the pics below!!


8 comments:

Nancy said...

Aaahhhhhhhh! She's so cute! And so little and skinny! She really does look little to Karen...but Karen looks all cute and sisterly holding her.

Congratulations! I'm so glad that your mom could be there to help out!

MORE PICTURES! :)

(Be like Shaille!)

Shaillé said...

Congratulations Allen family!!! I didn't realize it was that time already for Rachel to come along. I'm so glad everything went well and that it was "easier" this time. Good luck with recovery Joy. :)

AmandaStretch said...

Congratulations! She's so beautiful!!

Krystal said...

hey!! our babies share the same birthday!! The kyzer's came and visited me in the hospital, and they told me that you had your baby too! (I guess they talked to calista at a wedding reception or something?)

congrats! and yay for beautiful babies!

marquita chiquita said...

Congrats Allens!!! It has been so long since I have looked at blogs and stuff that I completely forgot that you were about due! She is such a beautiful addition to your family! We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Joy looks awesome for just having delivered! Karen looks so cute and big holding Rachel!

Becky said...

Oh, Joy and Joe, that's so wonderful! Wow, two beautiful girls! And what a great big sister. You're a beautiful family!

Nancy said...

We want updates! We want updates!

(I'm pounding my fits on my desk, pretending to hold a knife and fork--but you can't see that part)