Well, thinking back, nothing really happened this week. Monday I ... cleaned bathrooms I think.
Tuesday... oh yeah, Tuesday I went to the family history center at the church to try and find one of Joe's ancestors that we can't find anything about. They were 'helpfully unhelpful'-the lady directed me to a couple of websites to look at, but there was no new (to me) information on any of them. Tuesday was also laundry day.
Wednesday...nope, that day is completely gone. I don't remember a single thing that happened-except I made fish for dinner.
We're up to Thursday now! Yesterday...I dusted, vacuumed, and had a seriously pregnant moment-one of my first this time around. I didn't want anything for dinner-not that I wasn't hungry, of course I was hungry; I just didn't want anything that we had at our house. What I really wanted was a great big juicy steak and a spinach salad (like the one Joe's mom makes, it's great), the thought of anything else was just 'blah'. So we had potato fries at like 6pm, it was a nice 'snack', and Karen really likes potatoes in any form; she's just like her mommy that way. Then at about 9:30 I had Joe make me some Sloppy Joe's. Not that Joe's sloppy Joe's are any different than mine, I just really needed some kind of meat (and so did he) and since steak wasn't available I had to settle for something else.
So...what have I done today? I went and met with my friend Jennifer that I do Activity Nights with (8-12 girls, we have about 15 of them) to plan our activity for next Tuesday. When I got there she was on the verge of a breakdown. Her 2 year old (as I'm sure some of you can relate to) is completely wild, and besides the normal 2-year-old stuff he seems like ADD hyperactive or something. Add to that she has a 4 week old baby and is on antibiotics, at home by herself...Let's say she needed a hug this morning. When I went in I had one of those "what have I gotten myself into?" moments, seeing her with a totally out of control little boy, trying to take care of her new baby and still work on her calling...then knowing I'm going to be in the same boat in about 6 months from now. I almost cried myself, actually. Somehow through our hormones we got our activity planned, and we're going to watch BOM movies next week. Then we came home, Karen had lunch and fell asleep (I love nap time!) and I also fell asleep while reading my scriptures. After I woke up (thanks to Joe calling me) I made a cake for the dinner we're going to at our friend's house tonight. Then I packed up Karen and came to write my blog. Now you know everything I can remember from this week.
I think my memory is getting bad again. One of my professors at BYU called it "placenta brain", where your placenta and hormones take over and a year or so down the road you wake up one morning and you don't quite remember what happened in the past year, except for vague things like "I have a baby, and she used to nurse all day every day but now it's only a couple times a day and she sleeps through the night so it's okay." I'm convinced that placenta brain is the reason people have more than one child. If we remembered in full detail all the things that happened while we were pregnant or postpartum, we'd never do it again and our species would cease to exist. Well, that's it for now. Joe's parents are coming tomorrrow and staying till next Friday morning, so I should have more interesting things to write about next week.
Tour de famille (and a stop in Banff and BC)
6 days ago

3 comments:
You can do it Joy! Quite a few people tell me that adjusting to 2 kids is the hardest, then it gets easier from there. I am sure that your friend Jennifer really appreciated that you were there for her. We all need that sometimes :)
Placenta brain! Sheesh, I fully remember everything that I went through during labor and postpartum, including everything at Primary Childrens. I think Daniel wishes that I had more placenta brain. ^^ I am really proud that you can feel ok with having two kids (I am sure that you are worrying like crazy though). I wish that I could get to that stage.
Well, even though you think that maybe you haven't done that much this week, I love hearing about it all! I also think that you are doing amazing things by just being a good mom and a good wife. I think that a lot of problems in this world could be helped by people being good parents and good spouses.
Anyhow, we love you and we can't wait to see you here in Utah soon :)
give Karen a big squeeze for me!
I have pregnancy brain, too...only I call it pregnancy brain because placenta is a yucky word... :)
That is why I blog as things happen, otherwise I can't remember what I had for breakfast in the morning.
You'll do great though! Karen doesn't seem to be a wild child :)
We just went to our prenatal class yesterday--and really, pregnant women's brain do similar things to people who are suffering from schizophrenia.
The brain cells shrink, the paths between the hemispheres do wacky stuff...and then we get endorphins that make us think that labor was all worth it because "just look at that cute baby."
And then 6 months after doing the hardest thing we've ever done in our life, we hold someone's brand new baby and say to our husbands, "Oh, wouldn't it be nice to have a little baby again?"
And he looks at us like we're crazy because he didn't forget anything--just us.
Yeah, the forgetfulness is the only way to ensure the survival of the human race. We'd be crazy to do it again if we remembered.
And that's what I learned at my class yesterday. I'm not sure how comforting that was (we learned other stuff, too...don't worry).
Post a Comment